THE ROOT GROUP Case Study
Running a Business on Open Source
One client of The Root Group needed help in deploying a new eCommerce site using a number of Open Source technologies.
They had varied degrees of experience with the products and needed to make sure that when they had all of the pieces assembled, they had a highly available production-ready web site.
The Root Group engineer working with them was instrumental in helping them select, configure and deploy a robust architecture that included
- 2 Dell servers running Xen 5.0 with 5 virtual machines
- a Left Hand Network SAN
- CentOS as the guest operating system in the Xen configuration
- Front-end architecture with 2 Apache Web Servers
- Back-end servers hosting MySQL database server with multiple databases replicating to each other
- The firewall was configured on 2 Dell servers running OpenBSD using Open PF as the firewall
- SSL connections used for session persistence.
- Tomcat 5 for middleware
- KonaKart for the shopping cart application.
- Disk-to-disk backups using Amanda open-source software.